Genetic testing can help our doctors create a more precise treatment plan tailored to your unique genome.
The medical world has known for many years that various health outcomes are tied to certain genetic markers. But did you know that specific genes have also been implicated in mental health concerns ranging from addiction to anxiety, and can even determine your sensitivity to stress?
Gene-based precision medicine is now on the cutting edge of scientific progress—and at Potomac, we are proud to use genetic testing in our practice to help our patients feel better, faster.
We’ve been using genetic testing with our patients for nearly a decade and have seen firsthand how these tests can result in better mental health in a much faster period of time.
Here’s how the process works:
How does psychiatric genetic testing work at Potomac?
At Potomac, we go over all the details of the test with you before you take it, we walk you through the results once you have them in hand, and we build out an evidence-based treatment plan that takes your results—as well as your lifestyle and needs—into account. Here’s how the process works step by step:
- During your first few appointments, your doctor will go over genetic testing benefits and the possibility of administering a genetic test with you. We do not require the test from any patient, but we do recommend it for most.
- If you agree to the test, we will order it for you. Genomind’s Professional PGX is our go-to test for obtaining baseline genetic information.
- Before the test is shipped, you will receive an email from Genomind asking for your insurance and payment information. Depending on insurance coverage, the test cost can range from $0-$399 (Medicare and Tricare cover the test completely. Medicaid covers the test completely in DC and Virginia. Medicaid plans in Maryland may require a prior authorization process. For other states, coverage varies.) While this may seem like a hefty out-of-pocket price, it is balanced out by the fact that its results will help us create a treatment plan designed to work as efficiently as possible, saving you both time and money in the long run.
- The test, which arrives within days of receipt, will be shipped directly to your home. Upon arrival, we will guide you through the process of completing the test, which is as simple as a simple swab of the cheek.
- You can expect to receive results within 1-2 weeks—and we will go over these with you at your next appointment.
Learning more about genetic testing
So much of our mental health is reliant upon systems outside of our synaptic firings—and genetic testing helps our doctors treat the whole person rather than just a single piece of their wellness puzzle. It’s simple, clear, and cost-effective in the long run—and to us, that makes the administration of these tests on our patients a no-brainer. We think you’ll feel the same!
If you’d like to learn more about genetic testing, we encourage you to check out our blog. We’ve written dozens of articles over the last several years that help underscore the efficacy of testing in our patients, and how genes can make a big impact on your mental health.